Skip to content ↓


If you are worried about someone or need help yourself and are not sure where to turn here are some contact details you may find useful

Domestic abuse:

If the incident is ongoing called the police.

Or your can call:

Refuge’s national abuse helpline on 0808 2000 247 or visit their website

For men call the men’s advice line 0808 801 0327 or email


I’m worried about the safety of my child or another child:

Safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility – if you are worried about the safety of any child you should report it.

If you believe a child is in immediate danger then call the police - 999.

You can also call Bedfordshire Police: 01234 841212


You can report a concern to Bedford Borough Safeguarding team online

Concerned about a child? | Bedford Borough Council

Or you can call the Integrated Front Door:

  • Tel: 01234 718700 (office hours)
  • Tel: 0300 300 8123 (out of hours)

All cases are treated in confidence by highly experienced staff who work with children and young people.

Alternatively you can speak to the NSPCC

  • NSPCC Child Protection Helpline: 0808 800 5000

I’m worried about the safety of a vulnerable adult:

You can refer online:

Bedford Borough Safeguarding Adults Team | Bedford Borough Council

Or call the team: 01234 276222


I need support with my mental health:

The Samaritans offer a free phone call option 24/7 on 116 123 or you can email them (24hr response time)

I don’t feel safe:

If you believe you are in danger please call the police – 999

Alternatively you can speak to Bedfordshire Police - 01234 841212

Don’t forget that pubs and bars operate the ‘ask for Angela’ scheme. If you are feeling unsafe in a pub or bar you can go to the bar and ‘ask for Angela’ to get on the spot support.

I or someone I know is struggling with substance abuse:

This may be something that you particularly notice during the Christmas break

Please visit Drugs and alcohol | Bedford Borough Council for a comprehensive list of tailored support available.